Danube Delta Romania
The Danube Delta is a recent relief unit, formed (in prehistoric age) by clogging a marine bay which become firth. It has a surface of 4178 sq. km of which 82% on the Romanian territory and the rest of 18% on the Ukraine territory.The delimitation coordinates are: 28º 10’ 50’’ east longitude (Cotul Pisicii) / 29º 42’ 45’’ east longitude (Sulina) / 45º 27’ north latitude (Chilia branch, km 43) / 44º 20’ 40’’ north latitude (Capul Midia).The three branches of the Danube: Sf. Gheorghe- 69.7 km, Sulina -63.7 km, Chilia -120 km, divide the delta in three big complex islands: Letea, Sfantul Gheorghe and Dranov.
Their surface is ploughed by numerous secondary branches, fleets and artificial channels which connect the stream to the numerous lakes and swamps. The biggest lakes are: Fortuna, Gorgova, Matita, Isac, Rosu ,Uzlina, etc.. The South of the delta is occupied by Reazelm lacustrine complex (1015 sq. km) with the lakes Reazelm, Babadag, Golovita, Sinoe and Tuzla. 80% of the delta surface is covered by waters during the entire year.The clime is continental with big temperature amplitudes, with a few rainfalls,but with high humidity, the average annual temperature being of 11 degr. Celsius.The vegetation is mainly made up of bushes surrounded by cattail and sedge. The floating reed islet – form over 100000 hectares. Willows, poplars, oaks, alders and ash grow in the sandbank. In the delta there are strictly protected area 18 areas which occupy a total surface of 50 600 ha.In the Danube Delta Romania there are over 1200 species of plants, over 300 species of birds and over 45 species of fishes –carp, crucian carp, sheatfish, pike, rapacious carp, bream, perch, rudd, pike perch, sturgeon, stor sturgeon etc.The universal value of the Delta Biosphere Reserve was recognized by its inclusion in the international network of the biosphere reserves (1990), within the programme “MAN AND BIOSPHERE”(MAB) launched by UNESCO.In September 1990, Danube Delta Romania Biosphere Reserve was listed as wetland of international importance, especially as habitat for waterfowls – RAMSAR Convention.The universal natural heritage value of the Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve was recognized in December 1990 by its inclusion in the World Cultural and Natural Heritage List.